40 Best Makeup Artist Blogs
A talented makeup artist can transform a person into someone or something completely different, whether it’s for beauty, costume or just for the sake of art. Their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed, particularly in the movie industry, where the best are honored with awards such as the Academy Award for Makeup. Like with any form of art, it takes quite a bit of studying and practice to master the craft. The 40 makeup artist blogs listed below provide an abundance of information for those looking to enter the profession or just cultivate a challenging hobby.
Celebrity Makeup Artists
These makeup artists have achieved rewarding careers in the movie and fashion industries because of their unique talents.
- Kandee Johnson: Kandee is a celebrity makeup artist who has worked for CBS, ABC, CNN, MTV and VH1. She spends her spare time sharing makeup tricks on her blog — her YouTube videos have garnered almost 60 million views.
- Elke Von Freudenberg: With 20 years of experience as a top celeb and editorial makeup artist, Elke has plenty of wisdom to dispense.
- makeup by Mario Dedivanovic: Mario’s impressive list of celeb clients includes Kim Kardashian, Eliza Dushku and Amanda Bynes, and his work has appeared in magazines such as Glamour, Teen Vogue and People.
- The Makeup Blogger: Christina discusses new looks and shares her on-set experiences.
- MiMi J.: Mimi J. looks at life as a makeup artist, providing behind-the-scenes footage of photoshoots and step-by-step tutorials.
- emma farrell make-up artist: Dublin-based Emma shares her experiences, providing an abundance of pretty pictures along the way.
- Lisa Eldridge Makeup: Lisa, a fashion makeup artist, has been "plying her trade" for two decades, and has worked with many notable photographers and celebs — such as Cameron Diaz, Demi Moore and Heidi Klum.
- Inside the Life of a Glam Makeup Artist: Brandy blogs about her glam life as a celeb makeup artist in New York. She provides tips, including "How to Create a Classic Smokey Eye."
- The Amy Face: Amy offers "random musings and beauty tips."
- Audrey Mansfield: Audrey is the makeup artist for NBC’s Sunday Night Football — if she can make ex-pro football players look good, you know she’s a master of her craft.
- A More Beautiful Makeup:Rosalina is a film makeup artist who covers cosmetic trends and all-things beautiful.
- makeup + me: KJ is an Emmy Award winning celebrity makeup artist with lots of knowledge to share. Included on his blog is the helpful post "Saving Face ? Turning Beauty Boo-Boos into Makeup Must-Haves."
- Terri Apanasewicz: Celebrity Makeup Artist: Terri’s work has been featured in magazines such as Allure, Vogue and Elle, and it has been lauded by her celeb clients.
- Makeup Artist Victoria Stiles: The career of veteran freelance makeup artist Victoria is followed. Her lengthy resume is something to envy.
Other Gifted Makeup Artists
These makeup artists may have worked with celebrities, but aren’t completely immersed in the Hollywood scene.
- ProMakeupBlog: Jessica studied makeup artistry in film and photography at the Make-up Designory in Los Angeles, and eventually earned her degree in communication from UC-Santa Barbara. Her blog is well-written with tons of insight.
- amyopoly: Prior to starting amyopoly, Amy video-blogged makeup tutorials on YouTube, which earned her national recognition. She still does it, but now also focuses on regular blogging.
- Andy Lee: Andy’s popular blog looks at beauty and makeup trends important to makeup artists.
- Makeup by Ren Ren: Ren Ren’s blog is supplemented by her YouTube page, which features several online tutorials.
- A Makeup Artist’s Blog: Gain insight into the work of a talented makeup artist in San Diego.
- sian lidgate: Sian, winner of the Charles Fox Award for Makeup Artistry, specializes in fashion, beauty and editorial makeup.
- Jessica Jean Myers: Jessica’s involvement with the Toronto fashion scene is a testament to her abilities.
- Stephanie J Mazzeo: Stephanie’s blog is an excellent source of inspiration for her fellow makeup artists.
- Spicie Style: Erin displays her work and highlights her inspirations.
- FacesByFarah: Farah is a makeup artist and beauty editor who combines her talents by composing a fabulous makeup-centric blog.
- FacesBySarah: Pro makeup artists Sarah mostly examines products on her eye-catching blog. Not to be confused with FacesByFarah.
- mcmakeup’s blog: Mcmakeup examines everything from "The Ultimate Pro Makeup Kit Builder" to the "Best and Worst Fashion Hair and Makeup for the 2010 Emmy’s."
- Makeup Artistry by Christy: Christy specializes "in airbrush and traditional makeup applications for weddings, proms, special occasions and photoshoots."
- Makeup Junkie: Professional freelance makeup artist Joy has worked in television, runway, bridal and print, and blogs during her spare time in order to share "beauty reviews, celebrity style, and beauty tips."
- JennySue Makeup: JennySue fittingly works in Athens and Atlanta, Georgia. Makeup is her passion and it shows on her blog.
- Dvoradivine: Deborah documents her experiences, writes reviews and delivers news important to makeup artists.
- rhia amio, make-up artistrhi: Rhia provides updates on her work, which is prominently displayed throughout her blog.
A talented makeup artist is nothing without a trusty arsenal of makeup.
- The Makeup Artist Blog: Iris tries and recommends new products and provides tips helpful to all makeup artists.
- EyeCandy Blog: Lynne provides "product reviews, top makeup tips, celebrity style and all general beauty news and gossip."
- The Makeup Girl: In addition to product reviews, you’ll find how-tos and celebrity beauty reports.
- Hooked On Beauty: Makeup Artist Carissa, also a self-described TV beauty expert, reviews a variety of beauty products. She’s 100 percent independent and believes her integrity is of the utmost importance.
- Makeup and Beauty Blog: Karen’s growing blog is the place for "daily product reviews, makeup tips and beauty news."
- The Beauty Brains: A group of cosmetic scientists — fittingly — explain cosmetic science so that you’ll know the real story on beauty products.
- krasey beauty: Adina, a 20-something New Yorker and competitive dancer, dabbles in makeup artistry. She enjoy experimenting with different looks and products.
- Beauty Logic: Editor Milly tests hundreds of products per month in an effort to find the best ones out there.
- Pink Sith: "Makeup and product musings from an occasionally verbose, and often slack, product junkie."