Top 10 Dance Videos on YouTube
How did we get through the work day before YouTube? What did we talk about before we spread viral videos? YouTube is a life-saver when it comes to finding ways to waste time that feel somehow productive, and it’s probably because some of the best videos on the social site feature people doing something impressive that most other people can’t do. And by watching these videos, it’s almost like we’re taking part in the art and not just looking for ways to pass the time. But that could just be wild speculation; maybe the point of watching something like an awesome dance video is just to watch an awesome dance video and add a little pep in your day. While you try to decide which it is, give these dance videos a look. They’re famous for a reason. (And no, before you go looking, Evolution of Dance didn’t make the cut. Too overdone.)
- Nicholas Brothers in Stormy Weather: The 1943 musical Stormy Weather was one of the few from the era to give a prominent role to black musicians and performers. This clip featuring a glorious tap routine from Harold and Fayard Nicholas is as jaw-dropping today as it was when the film was released.
- Insane Robot Dance: This is sick. At first it feels like a pretty typical student talent show, with young boys doing some solid robot moves. But then a kid in a red shirt starts dancing around the 0:45 mark and just blows the doors off.
- JK Wedding Entrance Dance: Yes, it’s been seen by everyone, and yes, it’s more than a little weird to dance down the aisle to a song by a guy guilty of domestic violence. But the video remains one of the best dance clips on YouTube for the genuine and infectious joy evident throughout. The men and women involved aren’t great dancers, they’re just happy to be celebrating a wedding. Who can’t get behind that?
- Train Station Dance (Belgium) Sound of Music: Many of the most popular flash mob videos are just highly choreographed commercials (this one’s for a reality show), but that doesn’t make them any less entertaining. This clip used a remix of "Do-Re-Mi" from The Sound of Music to win the crowd.
- Flawless: This dance troupe performance from Britain’s Got Talent is your typical story of struggling artists making good on a national stage, and their moves are some of the best you’ll see on a competition show.
- Wedding Thriller Dance: Everyone from high schoolers to Filipino prisoners have uploaded videos of themselves performing the "Thriller" dance, but this wedding reception rendition is one of the best.
- Fast Swing Dancing — ULHS 2006: The contestants in the 2006 Ultimate Lindy Hop Competition are better at dancing than you or I will ever be. There’s no other way to say it.
- Dancing at the Movies: This four-minute supercut of great dancing moments from the movies is completely entertaining. Plus it’s set to Kenny Loggins’ "Footloose," and if that doesn’t make you move your feet, you are probably dead inside.
- Amazing Coordinated Samsung Dance: The amazing thing about this massively choreographed group dance is that it stops feeling like people dancing and starts feeling like one single animated piece of art that’s started to move on its own. Plus, the dancers seem to somehow multiply around 0:55, which will blow your mind.
- The T-Mobile Dance: Again, even though it’s a cannily manufactured ad designed to go viral, this group dance video sponsored by T-Mobile is undeniably entertaining and just plain fun. Great moves, fantastic crowd reactions, and total skill from the dancers. That’s how you do it.